Published on October 7th, 2015 | by President0
BBFC Nominated as Community Group of the Year
BBFC role in the community was recognised at a Mayoral Reception on 1/12/15 where the Community Group of the Year together with the Citizen of the Year and Young Citizen of the Year was announced.
Congratulations to everyone at the club who help to make us different.
Following is an extract of BBFC’s nomination:
Bonnet Bay FC has provided leadership within the Sutherland Shire sporting fraternity and its community. Since developing a strategic plan in 2007 it has:
- added over $1,000,000 in community assets. This work has been co-ordinated by volunteers with less than $100,000 in external financial support.
- focused on self-help rather than relying on hand outs from council or others
- identified a range of innovative solutions which have ensured they co-exist with cricket who they share two fields with. Council has used these solutions elsewhere.
- the highest proportion of female soccer players in the shire
- the highest proportion of soccer players aged 20 to 30 in the shire
- auspiced an annual group Mission Trip to support Transform Cambodia to assist street children http://www.transformcambodia.com/- 28 people made the trip in 2015.
- had many members integrally involved in revitalising Sutherland Titans FC which provides the opportunity for players with disabilities to participate in games against mainstream teams
- been one of the few grass roots clubs to have appointed a club chaplain who provides confidential counselling to members with personal problems.
- maintained a commitment to a community focused culture
- developed a cost effective annual player development program providing players of all abilities access to quality coaching
- been one of the few clubs to maintain teams in the top grades of men’s and women’s soccer in the shire
- become renowned as having the largest and most colourful fan base (the Lime Army) of any amateur soccer club in the shire.
- delivered a quality community centre which has become a benchmark for other projects